Blog » Considerations for Choosing a Roofing Contractor
Purchasing a new roofing system is a significant investment for a homeowner. Here are five of the most important criteria to look for when choosing a roofing contractor.
Purchasing a new roofing system is a significant investment for a homeowner. Choosing a contractor to design and install the system is also a big decision. Before you put your money into a roofing contractor, take some time to evaluate several. Regardless of the size, style or type of house you own, selecting a highly trained, reliable, professional contractor can make or break the success of your roofing project. It’s just as important to choose an affordable contractor. With many companies claiming to offer the highest quality work at the best price, it’s mandatory to do your research and understand what qualifications to look for before writing a check and signing on the line for work to begin.
Here are five of the most important criteria to look for in your
search for the best residential roofing contractor:
1. Verify that the company is working in accordance with state and local licensing requirements. Virginia requires a class of license (A, B or C) depending on the monetary value of the work being performed. In addition, confirm tax identification number, business address, website/email address and main contact phone number.
2. Request to see proof of insurance. If a worker is injured and the contractor does not have proper insurance you may be liable for accidents that occur on your property. Ask to see copies of general liability coverage, workers' compensation certificates and vehicle insurance policy certificates.
3. Check references. Make sure to hire a company with a proven track record for creating satisfied customers and completing quality projects. Look the contractor up in the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Reading online reviews is a great place to get honest, unfiltered customer feedback.
4. Insist on a detailed proposal and estimate. This document should be in writing and contain complete descriptions of the exact work being recommended, as well as specifications like start and end dates, cost breakdowns, payment processes, etc. The final contract should also include a full warranty description.
5. Don’t settle for mediocre communication. A professional and reliable roofing contractor should return calls in a timely manner, send over documents when they promise, follow through on special requests and take the time to answer any and all of your questions and concerns.
PRS Roofing & Siding is a locally recognized roofing contractor serving Richmond and Central Virginia. Our company holds the highest level of certifications, licensing requirements and employs only the most qualified, experienced roofing professionals. PRS Roofing & Siding’s top priority is to provide the best quality residential roofing service for your home. We understand that the safety of your family and the durability of your home rely on a properly designed and installed roofing system. For more information on our residential roofing services, or to find out what makes us a top-rated contractor in the area, contact us today!