Vinyl siding has been around since the early 1960s when it was first marketed as a replacement for aluminum siding. The material has come a long way in recent decades with advancements in technology of manufacture and installation. Newer products feature a low-gloss finish and realistic grain that closely resembles wood. Vinyl siding is the most commonly used siding in new home construction, and a top competitor among many other siding options. Nearly one-third of all homes in the U.S. are outfitted with vinyl siding.
As with any siding material, there are pros and cons. Here are some of the benefits and drawbacks to using vinyl siding on a home:
- Increases home’s energy efficiency
- Very affordable and easily installed
- Strong, durable and long-lasting
- Material doesn’t fade, rust, warp or attract insects like wood-based siding
- One of the least expensive options for new home construction or replacements
- Weather and water resistant
- The primary complaint against vinyl siding is that it can be affected by extreme cold or heat. It also isn’t as easily customized as other siding options.
We are a locally recognized siding contractor serving Richmond and Central Virginia. Our highly trained and qualified team installs top quality siding products to homes across the region. Today’s products are superior to previous generations of vinyl siding in terms of efficiency, durability, weather resistance and style. PRS Roofing & Siding features product lines that meet these standards, including Norandex, Mastic and Revere among others. Most products from these lines are available in a wide range of styles, colors, finishes and textures.
For more information on vinyl siding installation and repairs, contact PRS Roofing & Siding today.